Making Tax Digital
Making Tax Digital (MTD) is a fundamental change to the administration of the UK tax system. It will affect how your business maintains its accounting and tax records and how you transact and communicate with HMRC.
The next step is where HMRC will bring small businesses with turnover below the VAT threshold onto the Making Tax Digital for VAT scheme from April 2022. That means that now is the perfect time to start understanding the rules, find software, and establish processes. If you have any questions on this or are concerned you systems fall short, please get in touch now to give your business plenty of time to adjust to the MTD for VAT rules around digital record-keeping and digital links ahead of the go-live date.
PMK Accountancy services can help you navigate your business through this process and in meeting the new compliance requirements. We can guide you on what software best suits your requirements and what changes you may need to make. We can also take care of everything for you, if you prefer, and offer a complete book keeping and VAT return filing service. If you have any queries in relation to MTD or software etc, please contact a member of our team by emailing us at [email protected] or by calling 028 30 838 401.
After MTD for VAT has been implemented, MTD for income tax (for the self-employed and those with income from property) and MTD for corporation tax are expected to follow, but this has been dealyed due to COVID 19.
If you are a small business due to be taken into the MTD net in April 2021, you need to be aware of what MTD is and what impact it will have on your business.
The essential elements of MTD are:
- Businesses and organisations (which includes those with income from property) will be required to maintain digital accounting records. Maintaining paper records will cease to meet the legal requirements in tax legislation.
- Businesses and organisations will be required to use a functional compatible software product to submit their returns to HMRC. The software will use HMRC’s API (Application Program Interfaces) platform to submit information to HMRC. The current HMRC online tax return services will be withdrawn for those within the scope of the MTD rules.
MTD for VAT
The first stage of HMRC’s Making Tax Digital (MTD) programme focuses on VAT and imposed new requirements for digital recording keeping on VAT registered businesses and organisations.
From April 2022 all VAT registered businesses and organisations will be required to:
- Maintain their accounting records digitally in a software product or spreadsheet. Maintaining paper records will cease to meet the legal requirements in tax legislation.
- Submit their VAT returns to HMRC using a functional compatible software product that can access HMRC’s API (Application Program Interfaces) platform.
Businesses within this scope will need to acquire a suitable commercial software product or appoint an agent to submit returns to HMRC on their behalf.
No changes are being made to:
- The underlying VAT rules.
- The amount of information required to be submitted to HMRC; the VAT return will contain the same nine boxes that it does currently though the regulations do allow for additional information to be submitted on a voluntary basis.
- The current filing and payment deadlines for VAT.
what we can do for you
The economic downturn in 2008/09 highlighted the requirement for timely accurate management information in any business and when looking for…Learn More
Outsourcing your payroll will free up your time to concentrate on important value-added and revenue generating activities. Many Clients outsource…Learn More
A core part of our services at PMK is business advice and planning. We are committed to helping our clients…Learn More
Accounting Software & Training
An accounting system that promotes efficiency and accuracy is paramount to any business. Once we assess your needs we can…Learn More
Year End Accounts
No matter what size or type of business you have, keeping accurate and relevant accounts is key. We can guide…Learn More
A core part of our services at PMK is business advice and planning, as we’re committed to helping our clients…Learn More
Tax Planning & Compliance
PMK provide a range of services tailored to suit each client’s unique requirements, highlighting any potential tax planning opportunities for…Learn More
VAT can be a complicated and challenging issue for many businesses and an area where mistakes can easily be made. …Learn More
Company Secretary Services
PMK can provide tailored company secretarial services that are cost effective and help your business meet its statutory requirements which…Learn More
Dealing with the day today administration of sales, purchases and banking can be a daunting and time consuming task when…Learn More